The Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center (LSUHSC) and the Moffitt Cancer Center (Moffitt) are recipients of a National Cancer Institute (NCI) Partnership to Advance Cancer Health Equity (PACHE) Award. PACHE partnerships are between Minority-Serving Institutions and NCI-designated Cancer Centers to understand and reduce cancer health disparities. The LSUHSC-Moffitt Partnership is making available research funding for faculty members at LSU and Moffitt.
Each Developmental Project must be submitted in a single application as a partnership including mentors from both institutions that will support the career of an Early-stage investigator (ESI) from an underrepresented minority (URM) group. The ESI can be at either institution. The NIH defines an ESI as “an investigator who has completed his or her terminal research degree or medical residency—whichever date is later—within the past 10 years and has not yet competed successfully for a substantial, competing NIH research grant”. The following racial and ethnic groups have been shown to be underrepresented in biomedical research: Blacks or African Americans, Hispanics or Latinos, American Indians or Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders. If an applicant’s eligibility is unclear, we will request an institutional letter of support.
- Applicants may request up to $50,000 per year for a two-year period, for a total award of up to $100,000, generally to be distributed equally between the two institutions
- Awards to postdoctoral fellows will be channeled through the appropriate mentor
- We expect to fund one developmental project
- Proposals can be in any area of cancer research, basic or applied
- Proposals should support research projects with potential to lead to peer-reviewed publications and long-term external funding
- Proposals must include a career and professional development plan that describes the contribution of mentors at both institutions
- Only one application per faculty member is permitted
An electronic copy of the proposal should be submitted no later than 4:00pm CST/5:00pm EST March 1, 20109 to the LSUHSC-Moffitt Administrative Core at firstname.lastname@example.org.